Write a paper discussing the overlap of crime, punishment, and poverty. Please elaborate on the following points in your essay, each of which is raised by Wheelock and Uggen:
- Criminal sanctions and victimization work to form a system of disadvantage that perpetuates stratification and poverty.
- Punishment impacts individuals convicted of felonies, as well as their families, peer groups, neighborhoods, and racial group.
- After controlling for population differences, African Americans are incarcerated approximately seven times as often as Whites.
- Variation in criminal punishment is linked to economic deprivation.
- As the number of felons and former felons rises, collateral sanctions play an ever-larger role in racial and ethnic stratification, operating as an interconnected system of disadvantage.
The paper must be two to three pages in length and formatted according to APA style. You must use at least two scholarly resources other than the textbook and required readings to support your claims and subclaims. Cite your resources in text and on the reference page.